Monday, June 2, 2008

$261.85

I held my first garage sale this weekend (Friday and Saturday) and now I think I'm addicted. We had a bunch of larger items that I did not want to move with us but yet are bulky and would be difficult to haul to Goodwill so I thought I would attempt a garage sale. I mentioned it to my neighbor, Ann, across the street and she was planning to do one the same weekend I was. So we joined forces and held it together.

I lucked out on that one because she knew what she was doing. We held it in her garage. She gathered all the tables and her handy husband, Eric, hooked up a ladder horizontally and hanging from the ceiling to hang up all the clothes. He also made the signs and posted them the first day. I put the ad in the paper and brought over 3 small tables (I told you I lucked out).

We had great traffic both days and I sold the majority of my stuff. I made things amazingly cheap and took just about whatever anyone offered me. It was surprising what sold quickly and what didn't. Most of my household and garage items sold within the couple of hours. My children's items and toys didn't sell well.

I sold anything we either couldn't take with us (i.e. paint and other garage items), stuff I was tired of having, and anything I knew I didn't want in my new house. It was nice to see it go and I have no seller's remorse whatsoever (I was a little concerned about that).

The best part is I made $261.85. Yippee!!! I was pretty excited. We told the kids we would use that money to buy new bikes for everyone when we move (it helped soften the blow when I sold some of their toys).

So it looks like we will be riding bikes this summer! And I already made plans with my MIL to have another garage sale after we move to Idaho (who knows what I will decide to sell once I unpack). I'm so excited!

4 comments:

Jen said...

congratulations Jenni! That is awesome. Anything is better than the 30.00 that I made and 3.00 that Janee made at my yard sale last year. I don't know what happened. I thought we had some great stuff!

Have fun biking!

Anonymous said...

That's great! I just donated a TON of stuff to Goodwill and I can't help but think how much I could have made selling it. Have fun with the new bikes!

Ann said...

Glad your sale was a success! Phil's mom helped me do one before we moved. . . or it wouldn't have happened. She loves doing them.
We are going to miss you. Now that Phil's brother just moved to IF, we will be in that neck of the woods and will be able to come see you. Yea! Moving companies are great. Just make sure you empty your garbages, they will pack EVERYTHING, including garbage!

Lydia said...

Congrats on the garage sale success! I just saw your countdown, and I can't believe you only have 17 days! That's awesome that you have a moving company. What a huge relief.