Monday, April 21, 2008

I Hate Sad Movies

I'm watching a movie (In the Land of Women) and I didn't realize it was going to be a sad movie. I was all excited to watch a cute little romantic chick flick. But NO! I actually cried!

CAUTION!!! I'M GOING TO SPOIL THE WHOLE MOVIE

I mean come on Meg Ryan's character has cancer and her husband cheated on her. I just can't deal with movies where the mom gets sick and the kids are all sad and crying and wondering if their mom will be there throughout the rest of their lives. I don't need that in my life-ever.

Then his former girlfriend, who dumped him at the beginning of the movie, wants to come back but when he calls she is totally "wasted." The girl across the street who you figured would end up with him but you don't want him to because she is in high school, finds her high school love and he is left with NOBODY. And then his grandma dies!

Why did I waste my last Netflix DVD on this stupid movie (I cancelled my subscription).

Okay, my rant about the movie is over. But I still HATE sad movies. I refuse to see them (if I can help it-stupid Netflix suggestion). Some of my least favorite movies:
  1. Little Women - I still think Jo and Laurie (how do you spell his name?) should end up together and I despise little Amy.
  2. My Life - I hate movies about parents dying and spouses/children being left behind.
  3. Bridge to Terabithia - If only she came with them!
  4. My Girl - Why do little girls have to die?
  5. The movie I saw as a kid where the little girl takes her goldfish to school and then the dad comes upon an accident and sees the broken goldfish bowl...
  6. Another movie I saw as a kid where the mom sings a hymn at night and then dies the next day and I think the boy comes home to an ambulance in his front yard or something like than. Then you hear the song I'll Build You A Rainbow. I have tried to block it out.
  7. Cipher in the Snow. Can you get any sadder?

Alright, your turn. Add to my sad movies list.

11 comments:

Emma said...

I remember those last 3 movies. All put out by the church! But they are so sad! I'll have to think of more sad movies. I'll add to your list when I think of them.

Angela said...

Thask you thank you thank you for the warning! I too HATE sad movies, and avoid them like the plaque. I hate sad books too, for that matter. When I read or watch a movie I want an escape from my reality, and I don't want to go to a sad place! There are enough hard and sad things in the world without adding more!

Because I avoid anything that even looks like a sad movie, I can't remember the last one I watched. I avoid all movies about war, and I don't really like love triangles either.

Lydia said...

8. Old Yeller--no need for explanation, right?
9. Dad--It's with Ted Danson and Ethan Hawke. It's all about a guy with cancer and how he suffers the whole time and then dies. Very sad.
10. Simon Burch--cute little boy accidentally kills his best friend's mom and then he dies.
11. Untamed Heart--Christian Slater has a chronic illness, falls in love, and dies.
12. Of Mice and Men--so so sad
13. Up Close and Personal--Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert Redford are newscasters and he dies in the end leaving you saying, "What!? Why?!"

Lara said...

I didn't read your post in case I watch the movie. Then I will read it. One movie that I hated was Premonition with Sandra Bullock. That ending had to be the worst. It really made me wonder what the point of the whole movie was. If I wanted a sad story I would read the news. That is not why I watch movies. :)

Janus said...

1. "Dying Young" with Julia Roberts.
2. "City of Angels" with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan
3. "Top Gun", although I LOVE this movie, I hate it when Goose dies. anybody with me on that?
4. "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock. I have to admit that I usually love Sandra Bullock movies, but this movie left a bad taste in my mouth.

Vicki said...

Jenni - you are so funny.

I have grown up to hate sad movies. too. I loved them as a teenager though. One movie I watched lately that I thought would be cute but was sad was Mrs. Potter. Still a great movie, but just don't expect it to be all smiles and sunshine, because you'll cry at her heartbreak. It still makes me sad to think about it, though I really admire her character and what she did. Bittersweet, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I totally know how you feel! Another movie that made me so mad was Message in a Bottle with Kevin Costner. I mean, it makes NO SENSE that he dies in the end. What are people thinking when they make these movies?

Anonymous said...

And I agree with you about Little Women too. Jo and Laurie were meant for each other. And I think that the little boy died in My Girl from bee stings, not the girl, but I remember bawling in the theater during that one.

Anonymous said...

I've always hated Bambi - what does Disney have against mothers anyway?

Unknown said...

This was a shocking post. It has some look at here fundamental data on this subject. filmyhit

Steven Cook said...

One present why galore businesses opt for postcards is because they are overmuch cheaper to be prefab and this can forbear a lot of expenses on the lengthened run.  9xrockers