Friday, April 18, 2008

Daisy Meadows

I love books. I love to read. Reading is a need I have that must be satisfied just like eating and drinking. Before I had kids I worried that my children might not like to read. This really upset me. When Emily was just a little bitty baby and she wouldn't sit still to hear a story or look at a book, my fears resurfaced.

But I worried for nothing. My Emily LOVES to read. Since she was old enough, she loved to hear a story and look at books. When she was two I introduced her to books on tape. She was able to follow the beeps by herself. Now she spends more time than I would like listening to chapter books on tape.

I worried a lot about Emily learning to read. She learned her ABC's very quickly but she was very resistant to learning how to read. I decided not to push her and let her natural curiosity go at the pace she preferred. I have to admit it was frustrating that she was not reading because she had all the skills necessary to put the sounds together. I told her when you learn to read independently you will be so happy because then you will be able to read whenever and whatever you want. She still didn't want to do more than her 20 or so words she had learned. But I let it go and figured she would progress when she was ready.

Well, this year in kindergarten she took off. She finally had the motivation and drive. She is now doing excellent. She is the top reader in her class and we are so proud of her. For the past few months she has been staying up late at night reading books by herself. Every morning there is a stack of books in her bed. We have had to limit it to five.

But what I'm really excited about is that she just started to read "chapter books". We have been reading the Fairy books by Daisy Meadows (yes, Daisy Meadows-I didn't get it at first). Tonight as I was reading to her, we had to wait for Sam and I asked her to read to me. She read the whole page-no problem! I was astonished! She was so proud of herself. She said she wanted to read these before but she was afraid if she did I wouldn't read them to her any more. I assured her that I would always read to her (for the millionth time) but now she can read her favorite books anytime she wants.

So the reason I'm writing this post is not to brag by any means but to express my joy that my daughter is a reader. Just like I always wanted! As I'm writing this Emily is reading Inky the Indigo Fairy in her bed. Sam and Emily came in a few minutes ago to give me an update (she is reading out loud to Sam) on what is happening. Soon I'll have to go in and turn out the lights but for now I'm just glad Emily loves books. Emily loves to read!

6 comments:

Lara said...

Oh my heck your post has saved me! Thanks so much for posting this book series. Ashley and Kylie love to read and I often can't get them to stop but Bri is the same as Emily. I taught her a little before Kindergarten but now she has really taken off. But it has been hard finding books that interest her. I think she will love this series and I just put one on hold at the library. I can't wait to get it for her. Congrats on Emily and thanks again!

Jenni said...

Lara,
There are a TON of these fairy books. We have read part of the Jewel Fairies, Rainbow Fairies, Summer Vacation Fairy, Flower Fairies....It goes on and on!

The A-Z Mysteries are also good. I think they are on a similiar reading level. She hasn't read any herself but I have read them out loud. The author is Ron Roy.

Lydia said...

This was a great blog for me. I, too, want my kids to love books since it is my main passion in life, and this gave me hope that it will happen as long as I'm patient and not pushy about it. That is wonderful that Emily loves to read that much, and how cute that she loves to read to her brothers!

Vicki said...

I'm so excited for Emily!

James and I have those thoughts too since reading is so important to both of us. One of my favorite stories about James as a kid is that his mom would ask him to do chores like cleaning the bathroom and would find him an hour later in the bathroom with the cleaning stuff out but his face in a book. I'm not sure how great that would be now as an adult, but it makes me smile. Good job Emily!

Angela said...

Yeah for Emily!

Janus said...

You know, Grant and I were talking about this very thing the other night. I think that we get more books for Alexis than toys. She would much rather read a book than play with any of her toys. She could spend hours at Barnes and Noble reading all the books that the children's section has to offer. We have to put a time limit on her book reading at night or else she wouldn't get any sleep at night.