Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Emily's Birthday Party

Amidst the turmoil of selling a house, we decided Emily would have a birthday party with her friends since we will be moving this summer. It was a princess themed party and each little princess attending was crowned on arrival. Here is my 6 year old princess on the big day (excuse the extended middle finger in the picture-purely innocent).Each princess made their own pizza and then we played some princess themed games. The favorite game was "The Princess is Missing her Favorite Things". I had a tray of "princess" items. One child left the room and we took off one item. They had to guess what was missing. I was surprised at how much they liked the game.
After games and dinner Emily opened her presents. Emily absolutely adored every gift. As soon as all the guests left, she played with each toy and even woke up early the next morning to play with them again. Poor kid all her other toys have been packed away.
I'm really glad that we have a picture with each of Emily's friends. They are wonderful girls and I'm glad we can remember them in picture. Here is Emily and Mary Jane G.
Emily and Rachelle B. Emily with Sam (At first he did not want to wear a crown. But when everyone else had one, he asked for a blue crown.)
Emily and Sarah C.
Emily and Alyssa M. I'm so glad Emily invited Alyssa. She is only 4 but she is the only girl in our cul-de-sac. They play together all the time. I was afraid that being much younger, she would be left out. But everyone at the party was so kind to everyone else.
Ella F., Emily and Tessa P. I adore this picture. They look so happy. Emily LOVES the "Emily" mug. I can't wash it fast enough.
Emily and Haley T. Haley and Emily were only 2 when we moved to Minnesota. Haley was her first MN friend.
After presents we had cake and ice cream. Emily chose a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and Neapolitan ice cream. She blew her candles out too fast for a good picture. Then she had the candles out before I even put the camera down.
Every party has to have a goofy face picture.
After cake and ice cream we had a Princess search. I told the girls that a princess had been captured by a dragon and it was up to them to rescue her. The dragon left pink eggs with clues to help us find the princess. Each girl was assigned one clue. We searched the house to find them all. To help the hunt progress quietly, they had to whisper so they wouldn't wake the dragon (the best idea I ever came up with). Emily drew, colored and cut out a princess to glue to the pinata. I hid it in the laundry room and Emily was really surprised!Here is the first whack!! Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the mad scramble for candy. But there was plenty for all. Because it was cold and rainy outside we had to break it inside. It was so heavy and the girls so strong that the pinata fell from the hook in the wall. Luckily Brad was home and he held the pinata while they took a swing. Brave man my husband!
Hopefully a fun time was had by all the royal attendees!

Happy Birthday my dear daughter!

7 comments:

Lara said...

What a fun, fun birthday party!!! I am going to have to use some of those ideas for Bri. :) And the dragon sleeping . . . good one. Thanks for posting the pics. I know she will miss her friends but have so many more to make.

Janus said...

looks like it was tons of fun!! Happy Birthday Emily!! I can't believe she is 6. Time sure does fly by.

Lydia said...

Oh my word, those pictures are so cute!

Emma said...

How fun! Happy Birthday Emily.

Ann said...

How fun. You have such good ideas. And what a good mom you are to do this even when things are so crazy. I love the games. . . you are so creative.

Angela said...

Oh, it looks like such a wonderful party. You are so creative! How can she already be six? I will probably say this every birthday, but I will never forget the first time I met her, she wasn't even crawling yet, and you laid her down on a blanket at Jessica's house while we ate lunch. She's still such a cute and sweet little girl!

Hillary said...

Happy B-day Emily--what fun! I love Sam in his crown. Blake would be wearing one too!