Thursday, April 10, 2008

Emily is the Best!

One of the frustrations of having a house for sell is that I feel like I have to have the house looking perfect every time we leave. Yesterday I was talking to Brad on the phone debating whether or not to mop the kitchen floor before we went to story time at the library. We decided that the chances of a showing in the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday was slim. Brad told me to relax, let it go, or else I would go crazy.

Well, just as I was telling the kids to get into the car, the phone rang. It was a realtor who wanted to show our house (while we were at the library). Frantically I tell the kids we have a showing and we can't go to the library yet. Fortunately, I had everything "show ready" except the kitchen and living room floor. As I'm grabbing the mop and mentally calculating how long it will take to tidy up and can we still make it to story time, Emily comes to me and says, "Mom, what can I do to help?" Oh, my heart filled with joy and relief. With her help I knew we could probably make it. She cleaned the entry way and vacuumed the living room floor while I gave the kitchen a quick mop. Then as I was finishing up, she carried Ben to the car and buckled him in his car seat and had Sam do the same.

We got the house ready and we were only a little late for the library. I'm so grateful for Emily's willingness to help. When the call came, my first thoughts were that the kids would complain about missing story time and/or get in my way while I hurriedly cleaned up. But it went so smooth and I was able to leave knowing that the house looked pretty good. They didn't complain about being late and cooperated while we rushed into the library.

Here is a picture of Emily reading a story to Ben. When did she grow up?

8 comments:

Lydia said...

What a great story, and it gives me hope that one day my kids might someday want to help around the house. Right now if I even mention the word "clean," I'm suddenly the only one in the room.

Emma said...

That is so sweet. I'm so glad she offered to help. Yay Emily!

Jen said...

I have to admit that made me a little teary eyed. What a sweet girl, that Emily. I love moments like that with kids. It makes it all worth it!! I hope the showing went well.

Lara said...

Congratz! Way to go Emily!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you have Emily, too. What a great help she is. I don't know what I'd do without Tessa around, either. 6 is a great age.

Hillary said...

What a girl! She may be running the country some day, or at least the PTA! How nice that she offered to help.

Angela said...

What a sweet little girl!

Leslie said...

what! she can carry a baby to the car, put him in and buckle?

that is a handy little girl to have around. you are quite lucky. good luck with the house. a couple of weeks ago, neal absolutely demolished a bag of popcorn in our microwave. completely NUKED, our entire kitchen was filled with smoke. and guess what, the phone rang. showing in 40 minutes.

we had to put a sign on the door apologizing for the reek. i was a teensy bit mad, but did not let on. grateful for every single showing, so we couldn't complain.