Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I'm An Intruder In My Own House

(Warning: this post is a log of our happenings so far this week. It might be a little boring.)

This week we are having the upstairs of our house painted: entry way, hallways, kitchen, living/dining room, Ben's room, and master bed/bath room. At first I felt guilty that I was not doing it myself (save money and all that). But now that it is being done, I'm so relieved and happy that we are leaving it the professionals.

They started on Monday. During the morning I tried to stay downstairs and out of the painters way but it was very difficult. The kids wanted to see what was going on especially Sam. Sam followed Jim around talking to him and watching him. It was snowing outside and I didn't really want to leave the house but eventually it became essential we get out of the way. So we braved the weather and went to run some errands and then the mall playland. After hours of watching the kids play, we finally met Brad for dinner at Burger King and then went home.

Hours earlier I left the house with plastic covering the furniture (which was clustered in the center of the living room), canvas runners over the stairs and hallways, plastic covering my kitchen counters, the whole upstairs was just in a state of unavoidable working chaos. I came home to the kitchen and living room all freshly painted and beautiful! The workers left everything clean (the furniture was still in the middle of the living room because the paint wasn't quite dry when they left.

It was like coming home to a new house. I feel like I'm walking into someone else's house. I love the colors and the way the paint makes my house feel new, modern, warm, and cozy. I can't wait until it is all finished!!!

On Tuesday they painted our master bedroom/bathroom and some of the hallway. I was much smarter and left with the kids just after Sam's preschool and picked Emily up from the bus stop. We went to McDonald's-the one with the playland (Thanks Angela for the Christmas gift card!). The kids played for 2 1/2 hours. I was thinking ahead and brought along the latest copy of Reader's Digest to keep me entertained. After that we went to Toys R' Us to look at the toys and play with the train table. Then Aldi, a small grocery store with great prices, and lastly Target. We met Brad for dinner at Green Mill (a Christmas gift card from our realtor, Lori). It was the perfect day for that because we had a coupon for a free adult entree when you buy an entree and two beverages. Then as a bonus it was Tuesday and kids eat free! After the Green Mill, Brad took Ben home (he fussed and cried throughout dinner) I took Emily and Sam to Best Buy to buy a copy of The Artistocats so they can watch it when we fly to Utah in May (I know I'm buying it 3 months early but I saved $3). Then it was off to Emily's gymnastics class. Finally it was time to head home (8 hours later!!!!) and put the kids to bed. Needless to say, they fell right to sleep.

I was so excited to see my freshly painted master bedroom. It looks so nice, I'm tickled pink. I painted it in August (it took me 2 days) and we really did not like the color (dumb paint sample cards are so small). It was great to leave and them come back and have it done and the furniture back in place.

Today they are working on Ben's room. Sam, Ben and I went to Wal-Mart this morning. Now we are just hiding out in the office until Emily comes home. Then we'll head to the library for story time. The painters said they will leave around 4:00 today so maybe I can actually come home and make dinner tonight-spaghetti and meatballs, maybe?

Okay, we have just hit the limit in the office. Ben and Sam and plundering. I need to go make some lunch and get out of here. I hope Ben falls asleep in the car. He is really tired.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Gift cards make it easier to eat out!!! I would love to come home to a freshly painted house. OK, I'd like to have a house first.