Thursday, February 7, 2008

Emily's Habit

A while ago Emily wanted to learn to whistle. Brad and I both explained to her how to whistle. We didn't really believe a 5 year old would be able to master it. But then we forgot who we were dealing with. When Emily wants to do something, nothing gets in her way.

She is now a pro whistler. At first it was quite amazing and darling. But I have to admit, now it is a little annoying. She whistles constantly! Whistling can be really loud and uncomfortable when it is done in close proximity. We have explained to her that whistling should be done outside (but it is freezing outside), not done in the car (opps, she forgets), or while I'm do her hair ("sorry, Mom"), etc. She loves to whistle and it is now a habit.

The most annoying thing is Brad has this certain whistle that he uses and has used for years. It communicates a lot to me. He does it to let me know he's home, etc. But now Emily does it and it really confuses me why I should hear "Brad's" whistle in the middle of the day.

Don't get me wrong, I love Emily and am glad she has learned new things. But sometimes the volume just needs to be turned down, way down. Maybe if she learns to whistle while she works, I wouldn't mind so much.

2 comments:

Emma said...

That is funny. I can't whistle and David wants to learn how. Maybe I won't try to teach him ;)

Vicki said...

That is really funny about Brad's whistle. I never knew that. I can't wait to hear Emily whistle, too! She should ask her Uncle Shaun about it. Everytime I visit him I forget how much he whistles. It's fun in small doses :)