Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ice Skating

We attended an ice skating activity last night. At first I wasn't thrilled about it because I figured I would be sitting on the sidelines with Ben while Brad tried to help two kids ice skate. As a true "Prophetess of Doom,"I foresaw chaos, crying, and frustration. But I was wrong. It was a blast!
Many of our friends were there (you would have thought it was a ward party rather than a resident's party). We were able to watch each other's kids and everyone was able to get as much time on the ice as possible. I even got out there and didn't fall (although I had a few close calls).
First, Brad took Emily while I got Sam ready. She was amazing! She picked it up like she has been skating since she was a baby!There she goes on her own!Next, Brad took both of the kids out for a turn. Here they go! Look at Emily. She has only been out on the ice for about five minutes.Sam was having a really hard time and so was Brad. Brad's skates didn't fit well and trying to keep Sam vertical was a struggle.But, the rink has these really cool "skaters" as Sam called them. There were made out of PVC pipe and they came in all different sizes. At first someone gave us a tall one and I was able to take Sam around the ice with him holding onto it while I skated us around (sorry, no pictures). Then eventually we got a small one for Sam. He was able to skate on his own and he LOVED it!
We also loved it because the kids could skate on their own. Sam just took off and skated around the rink. If he happened to slip, he got right back up and kept going. Eventually his buddy Mason joined him with a "skater" and they went round and round.
By this time, Emily was a pro! She skated and skated. There was a figure skating class going on in another rink and Emily tried to imitate what they were doing. She would try to skate and lift her leg and spread her arms. Unfortunately, I never got any pictures of that.
Eventually, we had to drag the kids off the ice. Emily probably would have skated all night if she could. Emily talked about how much she loved it all the way home. This morning, Emily said she dreamed about ice skating and wonders when we can go again. Hopefully soon!

4 comments:

Emma said...

How fun! I haven't been in years! That's nice that Emily picked it up so quick!

Angela said...

What fun! You got some great pics!

Lara said...

It looks like you had so much fun! They actually have ice skating here. One day I may have to take the kiddies. :)

Vicki said...

That's amazing. What a cool experience!