Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Book Club

I love my book club! It is full of fun ladies who have great insight into life, read interesting books, and like to talk! Every meeting is great fun and even if I didn't like the book we read, I always walk away with more appreciation for the book. I try so hard to never miss a meeting. I have been fortunate enough to be in charge of the group for the past year and I will miss the group when I have to move.

Last week we chose our next 13 books. The evening was full of laughter and suggestions of new books to read.
Here are our choices (Thanks Sarah-I copied the list from your blog):

44 Scotland Street, Alexander McCall Smith
The Tipping Point, Malcolm Gladwell
Dinner at Homesick Restaurant, Anne Tyler
The Woman in White, Wilkie Collins
Pope Joan, Donna W. Cross
Silas Marner, George Eliot
Enders Game, Orson Scott Card
The Scarlet Pimpernel, Baroness Emmuska Orczy
These is My Words, Nancy Turner
Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
My Name is Asher Lev, Chaim Potok
The Goose Girl, Shannon Hale
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini

Here are the other suggestions that weren't lucky enough to be chosen:
Back When We Were Grownups, Anne Tyler
Wish You Well, David Baldacci
Color of Water, James McBride
The Hot Zone, Richard Preston
A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue, Wendy Shalit
The Last Mimzy, Henry Kuttner
Till We Have Faces, C.S. Lewis
Winter of our Discontent, John Steinbeck
The Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula Le Guin
The Dark is Rising, Susan Cooper
The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold
Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer
The Plague, Albert Camus
Narrative of the Live of Frederick Douglass, Frederick Douglass
Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
City of Joy, Dominique Lapierre
Everyday Sacred, Sue Bender
Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
Eleanor Roosevelt, Blanche Cook
Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Susan Vreeland
Darcy’s Story, Janet Ayler
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
The Shop on Blossom Street, Debbie Macomber
A Train to Potevka, Mike Ramsdell
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
I Can’t Wait to get to Heaven, Fannie Flagg
The Good Good Pig, Sy Montgomery
Gifted Hands, Ben Carson
The Mitford Years, Jan Karon
Mao’s Last Dancer, Cunxin Li
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Lisa See
Botany of Desire, Michael Pollan
Sarah’s Quilt, Nancy Turner
The Star Garden, Nancy Turner
The Family Tree, Sherri S. Tepper
Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse, Stephenie Meyer
March, Geraldine Brooks
The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
The Bean Trees, Barbara Kingsolver

4 comments:

Angela said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting your list! I love getting titles from you. It's fun to hear about what other book clubs are reading too. What a good idea to post your list, I think I'll post my book club's list too.

Vicki said...

For the past couple years I have been getting most of my book titles from Jenni and her book group. I have really enjoyed most of them. One of the best questions to ask Jenni is what is she reading, and I wish I could find a book club like Jenni's in Utah!

Anonymous said...

oooooo, thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

p.s. I don't think you'll like Water for Elephants