Friday, August 17, 2007

Next time I'll just pay the money

Sam was in desperate need of a hair cut. The last time he needed a cut I took him to Great Clips. He sat nicely, had his hair cut, and enjoyed his DumDum sucker while I paid my $12. It looked so easy.

Well, today I was feeling very frugal and confident (and I had treats, too). I decided to cut it myself (I used to cut Brad's hair and Sam's when he was younger). I took out the clippers and scissors and started. It went downhill from there.

Sam wouldn't sit still, he wouldn't look in the right direction, he kept saying, "it tickles", I couldn't figure out the best size "thingy" to put on the clippers, and I had hair clippings everywhere. Meanwhile, my voice kept rising in frustration and irritation. Then I remembered why I started paying someone else to do this job. So I decided to just cut the back and sides and make him look somewhat presentable until I could have a professional finish it off.

So now I need to take him somewhere to cut the top. Do you think I can ask for 1/2 a haircut at 1/2 the price? "Just cut the top, please," I would say, "I've already done the back and sides." Hmmm, I wonder if it would work?

2 comments:

Vicki said...

This reminds me of the one time I cut James' hair. I don't know what ever possessed me to try, and by the time I was done his thick curly hair looked uneven and badly cut - kind of like a mop sitting on his head as his sides were so short but the top was too long and hung down. James wore it for a week, said it was fine, but I made him have someone fix it. This is a job better left to a professional!

Angela said...

I laughed out loud at the half a haircut for half the price comment. Wouldn't that be nice!

When we were first married, I tried to cut Doug's hair, it took FOREVER, and I was so afraid to cut large amounts that it didn't really look like I had cut it at all. I decided then and there that I was not born to be a hair cutter, and the money spent on his haircuts was money well spent.

Doug now shaves his own head. He will have this hair style for the rest of his life, or until someone develops a cure for baldness, so I am off the hook there. Doug also cuts Porter's hair.

I have yet to decide if I will cut Sophia's hair. It looks so easy, but I tried once, and it didn't go too well. Then I took her to a kiddie cuts place with great success. I have to say I agree with Vicki, this is a job better left to a professional!