Saturday, September 8, 2007

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, baked beans, SPAM, SPAM, and SPAM

Have you seen or heard Monty Python's Spam skit? If not, my title might seem a little weird. This blog is about Spam - well - at least the museum. We spent a few hours perusing Spam's history and interesting facts at the Spam Museum in Austin, Minnesota. Did you know there is a college student who has worn a SPAM shirt for the past 5 years!? Spam was "invented" in Austin and now there is a whole museum dedicated to it. It was an interesting couple of hours but I FORGOT MY CAMERA. I was so sad because I had always wanted my picture taken in front of a giant SPAM CAN. Well, maybe not, but Emily and Sam were so cute dressed up in white factory coats and hard hats and filling up Spam cans with pretend Spam. The museum was fun and worth an hour or so of wandering and FREE. I would have liked a Spam sample though. It has been a long time since I tasted it.

Afterwards we ate at a little restaurant called PiggyBlues BBQ (we decided not to try the restaurant across the street advertising SPAM specials). They had a great shrimp po-boy which was HUGE! I miss the shrimp po-boys from Village Pizza in Pearland. This one was nothing like Village Pizza's but it was fabulous. It was on crusty bread, breaded and fried shrimp, coleslaw, garlicy pickles, tomatoes, and spicy french fries (on the sandwich!). Yummy! Much better, I'm sure, than a Spamburger.

By-the-way have you ever had a Spamburger? Do you have any recipes including Spam? I would love to know.

(Here is a link to the Spam Skit video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6N5m8FpVg or the written transcript http://www.detritus.org/spam/skit.html - I have not learned how to do a cool link using just a word or link a youtube video - can anyone tell me how?)

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I would have loved to go to that museum - but I would have had the Monty Python song running through my head the whole time! It's classic humor. What an interesting experience for your family. Thanks for including it on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Monty Python immortalized Spam with that sketch. And I'm a mortal who loves the stuff. Can't get enough!