Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Baby is a Big Girl

Where has the time gone? It seems like yesterday that she was born and just the sweetest little baby girl I had ever seen. Now she is 5 and on her way to Kindergarten.

Tomorrow is her Kindergarten orientation. We get to go together to become acquainted with the school, classroom and teacher. We met her teacher at "Meet the Teacher" day but it was just for a moment. Tomorrow is the beginning of it all but yet I feel like it is the end of an era...

Up until tomorrow I feel like I have been able to control Emily's circle of influence. She is generally always with me or with others I trust. She has gone to preschool but it has been a co-op with friends from church. She has done a couple of book and nature camps but they were short term and I was taking her and she was with a friend. At church she is with people we know and love. Now I will send her to school where I don't know the people who will spend almost 3 hours a day with her (thank heavens for half-day kindergarten-I'm not ready for more). I'll be putting her on a bus where I trust that she will be okay but have no guarantee. It is very scary if I think about it too much.

But I have been thinking about it too much. When we send our kids to school, we are putting a lot of trust into the educational system. Our children are our most precious 'possessions' and yet we send them off to the unknown. My neighbor has been wrestling with the idea of public school verses private Catholic school (they are Catholic). She eventually chose the Catholic school and I can see why. I would feel more secure in a religious setting for my child. But I don't have that choice due to finances. So I hope and pray that Emily will remember all we have taught her and I hope and pray I have taught her all she needs to know.

We have worked as a family on learning how to make right choices and stand up for what is right. I know some of it has seeped into her because I overheard her telling a neighbor boy when he called someone else a "stinkyhead" that that was "inappropriate." I was so proud of her and hope that she can understand when something is right or wrong and act appropriately.

I guess as much as I would love to keep her with me forever, she needs to spread her own wings and fly. She is a special girl and I know she will do great. It know it might be a challenge for her especially because she is shy and she does not know anyone in her class. I know I will worry especially because as a former teacher, I know what some kids are like. But I know she will be watched over and can return to a home where she is loved and her return is anticipated by two little brothers who love her (as well as her mom!).

Well, wish us luck tomorrow and I'll post more on the first "real" day.

2 comments:

Emma said...

I agree. That's the scariest part for me, is not knowing everyone in the class, and not knowing their parents, and realizing they don't have the same values. At least I think all the other parents want their children to behave, be polite and learn.

Vicki said...

Emily is such a smart girl and will do well, I know it. The education question is something I think alot of too, even though I don't have kids. My primary class of nine year olds go to three different schools: public and two charter schools. In Utah at least, gone are the days where the neighborhood kids are in your class. Personally, I believe strongly in the concept of public education and the need for government-funded education that is accessible to all and high quality. I might change my mind when I have kids, but that's what I think right now. Good luck!