Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sometimes It Is Nice To Rent

One recent Sunday morning I walked downstairs to the basement and I noticed something unusual in the window well. Upon closer inspection I discovered 2 to 3 inches of water pooling in the window well. As I was standing there I also realized my slippers were getting wet. I called to Brad and informed him of the problem. As we were trying to figure out what to do, we realized, "Hey, this isn't our problem. Let's call Jake!" I couldn't help but breathe a sign of relief that we didn't just buy a house with water damage.

We made a speedy call to the owner of the house as we tried to do what we could to discover why this was happening. We had had heavy rains that night (the first since we had lived in Idaho) and I realized that the rain gutter was dumping the water just to the right of the affected window. I found a tube that I used to divert the water away from the window until Jake could take a look.

When Brad and Jake pulled back the carpet they found a river of water running right into the basement under the carpet. They bailed the water out of the window well and set up fans to dry out the carpet.
It took a while to dry everything out and the water had seeped much further into the family room then originally thought (I had to pull the carpet back much farther than what is shown in the pictures). I used a dehumidifier to help get rid of that damp, musty smell that comes following problems like this. It appears that this has happened before and Jake is working on making sure it doesn't happen again.

Hopefully, it won't happen again...at least while we are living here.

5 comments:

Lydia said...

I think I'm still suffering from PTSD because I felt my blood pressure go up a few notches after reading your post. That water damage business is the pits and so unbelievably stressful! I can only imagine your relief when all you had to do was call Jake and not your insurance company :)

Julie said...

We've had water trouble in Mason's room here. I'm just glad it's not really my house!

Angela said...

YEah for renting!

Stacy said...

I agree about the renting! We have spent WAY too much at Menards and Home Depot.

Sarah said...

I feel your pain, Jenni. I'm so sorry.