Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Real Pain in the Neck...and Head and Teeth

For the past three weeks I have been experiencing horrible headaches. It started as pain in two of my upper teeth and eventually led to the worse headache I have ever had (I seriously wanted to just die). After an emergency trip to the dentist, we discovered that there is nothing wrong with my teeth. The dentist thought it was because of TMJ. After relaying that info to Brad, he discussed it with his partner and the orthopod next door. They determined that the symptoms weren't right for TMJ and that I had a sinus infection. I was treated with heavy duty antibiotics and pain killers. After about four days, I still didn't have much relief. Brad determined that I had an irritated nerve that was causing my teeth to hurt and bad headaches. After another few days of pain in my teeth and bad headaches, we decided I might also have a pinched nerve and so he gave me a shot in the back of my head (sometimes it is handy to have a neurologist for a husband). That helped for awhile but did not completely relieve the pain.

Now it has been three weeks and I have had a few good days, but the pain is back in full force. I'm tired of taking medications (some of which makes me dizzy) and I'm even more tired of this unpredictable pain. We are confused why I do well for a few days and then the pain comes back. This is really messing up my life. Now Brad wants me to have an MRI. I just don't want too. I just keep hoping it all goes away.

11 comments:

Jen said...

Oh boy Jen that is awful. I am so sorry. I had a sinus infection right as I was delivering Hallie and the whole month previous and the headache was just unreal. I have never been in more pain and felt so sick in my life!!! Please let me know how it all goes. You will be glad you got an MRI. You're in my prayers. Get better.

Sarah said...

Oh, Jenni, I think an MRI will make you feel better. I'm so sorry about the headaches. I get migraines every so often and they just about kill me. I can't imagine 3 weeks of one. You're in my prayers.

Lydia said...

Jenni, I am so sorry! That is very nice and handy that Brad's around to try and help you feel better (and also not stick with the original diagnosis of TMJ). I hope you find out what it is soon and that the pain goes away fast. That's horrible!

Sarah said...

Definitely go for the MRI. It would be good to rule out an aneurysm, as well as other unknowns. It really isn't too bad - just staying very still (and patient when it feels like your whole body is itching). Good luck!

Emma said...

I'm so sorry. It's horrible to be in pain for so long especially when you don't know the cause. I hope it is resolved soon.

Lara said...

That is terrible! I hope your doctor can firgure it out soon and relieve your pain. So sorry!

Angela said...

I can't believe I forgot to ask you how this was doing last time we chatted! So sorry to hear it's not resolved. Go for the MRI ASAP, trust your husband.

Vicki said...

Jenni, I hope you get feeling better soon!

Julie said...

Yikes! I'm sorry you are still in so much pain. I hope you can figure out what it is & how to take care of it! Always something to make life difficult.

Janee said...

I'm so sorry, Jenni. I hope you find out soon what the cause is so you can get healed. Headaches are seriously the worst. You can't function at all with a bad headache. My remedy for migraines is two tylenol and a coke. But sounds like yours are much worse than a typical migraine. Good luck.

Kate said...

I hope you get things figured out! It's hard to do all you have to when you don't feel good.