Tuesday, September 30, 2008

MRI Update

After everyone's encouragement and concern and a headache that lasted about three days straight, I finally got an MRI.

Today Brad's office arranged to have an MRI center fit me in. Brad's mom watched the boys for me while I was placed inside a cylinder that clunked and banged and even shook for about 25 minutes. It was an interesting experience and I'm thankful I'm not claustrophobic.

The MRI results showed that I do not have a tumor (which is what I was most frighted of) or a sinus infection, or other horrible problems (Brad did not want to elaborate on what else could have been wrong). Brad and I are both overwhelmingly relieved, need I say more.

So after hearing the news and heaving a major sign of relief, I asked Brad, "What next. Why do I have these horrible, long lasting headaches?" He replied, "I have a patient waiting. I'll call you later about that."

So a few hours later, and a nap for me, Blue's Clues DVDs for the kids (if you know anything about me, you know I was seriously desperate), and lots of candy (the kids took total advantage of my need to stay on the couch), Brad and I finally discussed my headaches, again.

My diagnosis: Atypical face pain (in other words an irritated nerve in my head). Treatment: increase the dosage of the Lyrica I'm taking to relieve the pain and eventually, hopefully, the nerve will heal.

So there you have it. I took another Lyrica tablet and I do indeed feel better, maybe a little dizzy, but no headache. Hopefully, we will get this under control so I can start living my life again. So much has been on hold because I can barely do what I have to do. It is nice to know I don't have a time bomb in my head. That was really bothering me.

Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement. Hopefully I will feel better so I can blog some more. I have great pictures of Ben I want to post.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear it's nothing terrible. I was worried about that too.

Well, at least you can agree with my dad when he says:
Better living through chemistry.

Lorie said...

So relieved Jenni. I hope that all of our petitions to the Master Healer will find you well soon. I miss you, but I am so grateful for your blog and Goodreads.

Angela said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for getting that MRI! I'm so grateful it's not a tumor, and I'm so sad that you're still feeling so terrible. I hope that nerve heals quickly... and I'm glad you're married to a neurologist! Sure wish I could take your kids for you!

Hillary said...

I second everyone's relief at the good news. How horrible to have such headaches. I hope that you are feeling better soon. I've been thinking about you and still pray for you daily by rote, just as Tonya ordered ;-)

Lara said...

Get better soon! I am so glad it was not bad news. Ugh, I hope the pain goes away soon.

Janus said...

I'm glad everything is ok. Thanks for the update.

Love ya-
Janus

Vicki said...

Jenni, I'm so glad and hope you feel better soon!

Julie said...

I hope the meds help & you can get back to life. I can't imagine how awful you must have been feeling! I wish I lived closer so I could have your kids over for the day (that would seriously help more than just you, namely, me!).

Ann said...

Relief, but still frusterating. I feel like I am just getting back on top of things from when my back freaked out on me. . . hang in there, it will get better.
Last night Kyson said he missed Emily. If end up in IF next summer we will have to stop by.

Beistline Family said...

Hey I snuck in through Hillarys blog. I am so sorry about your headaches. I get miserable headaches also and it always starts in the teeth and works its way up. I am so glad you are feeling better now though. Tell Emily I said Hi we miss her in our Sunday school class.

Lydia said...

Jenni, I'm glad it's nothing serious! Thank you for the update, too. I've been thinking about you and wondering if everything was OK. I hope the pain settles down soon!

Jen said...

Jenni, so glad you did the MRI. I'm sure that alone was enough to help you feel better especially knowing the diagnosis. I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. I know what a pain, but hopefully it will get better soon.

Also, I'm glad Emily and Sam are enjoying gymnastics.

Sarah said...

I hope that you're starting to feel better. I'm sorry that there isn't an immediate end in sight to the pain.