Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Moving Days

It is never fun to move but this time was so much easier in so many ways. Mainly, we had Mayflower do the packing, loading, and unloading. I have always done this myself and I am so glad I didn't have to this time.

The Mayflower guys came on Wednesday, July 18th and spent the day packing our belongings. Before they came, I had everything clean and ready. They came about 8:00 and most of the packing was done by 12:30. Wow! About 7 guys, mostly teenagers, packed and they did are really great job (nothing was broken in the move). They said it was one of the easiest jobs they have done because I had it all ready. One guy was so nice to Sam and let him be a "helper". Sam LOVED it! Brad was able to be home and he kept the kids out of the way (kind of) while I tried to do some cleaning. Later that afternoon, a few guys came back to do the inventory. That took as long as the packing.

On Friday morning the truck came. It was strange to see a huge semi parked in front of my house. Please note that it was already half full of someone else's belongings. I know I have a lot of stuff but not that much.About six guys removed everything from the house and piled it in my driveway. As my neighbor, Marin, put it, it looked like my driveway threw up.
I was interested to see how they organized this task (it is the insane organizer in me). They sorted everything in the driveway-furniture, boxes, plastic bins, large bulky items, etc. They then loaded things and utilized every inch of space in the moving van from floor to ceiling.

Sarah P., and Hillary C., so graciously took my kids for the entire day (Brad had to work.) It was a lifesaver! It would have been so difficult to keep them out of the way while the movers were in and out of the house. Not to mention that everything was packed so they would have nothing to do.

While the movers worked, I cleaned the entire house and got ready for our two and a half day drive. It is surprising how much dust and dirt are hiding behind furniture.
The movers left around 4:00 pm (I can't really remember exactly). I had the house clean and the minivan loaded for the trip. I went to pick up the kids and Brad from work (we had his car moved). The kids wanted to come back and say good bye to the house. I think it was strange for them to see it completely empty. They were so young when we moved in.

So 4 years and 1 month after we moved to Minnesota, we had to say goodbye to our friends, neighbors, and lovely city. We were off to experience our next chapter in life. It has been 15 years in coming and we are excited and nervous about what the future holds for us in Idaho!

4 comments:

Jen said...

I'm glad that part went so smooth for you Jen. Oh, how I miss your sense of humor and easy personality.

You guys have a great future ahead of you. We have 4 years left and I know it will go so fast. I'm sure by then it will be so hard to leave this place. My kids will have basically grown up here. Tell Brad good luck with work and I hope the kids are settling in nicely and you are all enjoying your new ward. Miss ya!

Lara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lara said...

I am glad you had people to help you. Moving is not a lot of fun - for me at least! Good luck and let me know how you guys are liking practicing!

Angela said...

I'm so glad everything went well. Hooray for movers!